Sunday 21 September 2014

Bleak House (2005) Review

A must see BBC adaption of Charles Dicken's novel about the court case Jarndyce on  Jarndyce.

My mum introduced this to me when I was around 11, when reading a book of Bleak House's length would have been difficult for me, no matter how much I loved reading. It compelled me to read the book and I must say that I appreciate it.

The acting is brilliant on all parts with stand out performances from Timothy West as Lord Deadlock and Charles Dance as Mr. Tulkinghorn. But it is Gillian Anderson who steals the show with a breath-taking portrayal of Lady Deadlock. She brings a great presence and I can't imagine anyone else to play her. 

It is hard not to shed a tear or a dozen when watching this in many different parts and is well worth a watch as it honors the book. Some adaptations ruin the book, but others like this highlight the very best in classical literature. 

It's not all sad with Burn Gorman playing the rather shallow and imbecilic Guppy, which throughout leaves the viewer "mortified" and a tension breaker. This also goes for his mother with Sheila Hancock stealing the one scene she is in.

Overall a must see for all, whether you want to see a great Victorian period drama or a fan of Dickens this is the perfect show.

No comments:

Post a Comment